Hollywood legend, Katharine Hepburn was an early pioneer of androgynous fashion, appearing on set dressed in high-waisted pants and button-down shirts a decidedly unconventional look in the 1930s and 40s, when girdles and stockings were the order of the day.
The fiercely independent Hepburn famously once quipped: 'Anytime I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, "Try one. Try a skirt."
The fiercely independent Hepburn famously once quipped: 'Anytime I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, "Try one. Try a skirt."
And when Barbara Walters asked the 78-year-old Hepburn whether she even owned a skirt, the actress quickly retorted, "One -- I'll wear it to your funeral."
Hepburn cross-dressed famously and fabulously as Sylvester Scarlett in "Sylvia Scarlett" (1935). "It was meant to be funny, but nobody laughed," Hepburn noted - even with Cary Grant as co-star and George Cukor as director.
Katharine Hepburn, as well as being a pioneer in her own right, also knew the importance of costume in defining character and drawing the audience into a story. She had a sure sense of what would work for her. Katharine Hepburn: Dressed for Stage and Screen includes costumes Katharine Hepburn kept in her personal collection of performance clothes, wardrobe which she wore for publicity, and examples of “rebel chic” from her casual and rehearsal wear. Augmented with film still, posters and playbills, the exhibition spans her long career in theatre, film and television.
Read more here.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.