Sunday, 16 September 2018

Mary Katrantzou's 10th Anniversary Collection


From the lampshade skirts that switched her label on to the early perfume-bottle dresses still evocative in her work today, Vogue visits the Greek designer at her north London studio to reflect on her decade in the trade.

When Vogue visits Katrantzou at the north London studio she has gradually monopolised over seven years, she streams cigarette smoke and merry monologues at her patio table, reflecting on 10 years in the trade.

"Sometimes you try ideas and they fail, and sometimes you don't think they're going to work and they become the most amazing thing of that show," says the designer, who is renowned for her uniquely embellished dresses and pick-me-up digital prints. "But I've never feared, and I think that sometimes leads you to major disasters and sometimes it leads you to greatness. But most of the time it just leads you to build confidence."

At the start she felt too shy to take her finale bow and had little confidence discussing her work. "I just didn't want to be part of a picture." From dingy, east London start-up digs ("tiny, concrete floor, mud coming through, jail bars outside") to the two-floor operation she runs today, the Central Saint Martins graduate has garnered celebrity clientele from Kerry Washington to Kylie Jenner. "Looking back I'm like wow, we've done some amazing things."


Check out the full interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.